We had then finished off 30 days of charter with 3 clients back to back. Everyone was pretty tired and irritable so we tidied up and I told crew to go get some rest and sleep apart from watch keepers to keep things ticking over. After some good relaxing I then started pushing crew to start with order lists for next charter and to go out to buy provisions. The cost of provisions in Croatia is astronomical, my shipchandler told me they have 40-50% markup for anything they buy from a supermarket for the effort. So I had my crew cutting this as far as they could. Furthermore, as Croatia had joined the euro zone and changed the currency from kuna it appeared that the prices had not changed, just the sign in front, hence the sudden price jump. I recall same happened in Finland when they changed from marks to euro.
Trogir sunset
I also got to do some evening walks and not stay onboard all day long tending to first world problems. I discovered that the restaurant Garden food & drinks was still in operation from the time I had brought Caipirinha to Trogir. I enjoyed their menu most nights and also the Tiramisu they made, besides it was not too far and they had a nice ambience with the green leafy trees growing in the middle.
Trogir boats, large 20m Pirelli with 4 outboards
Trogir sunset
Trogir castle
Trogir waterfront
Trogir waterfront
Trogir museum
During the weekend I managed to get myself to Trogir old town and roamed around the narrow streets looking at the various shops and buildings there. Then I visited the Trogir museum. It was mainly regarding the history of the town but I was not in a very historical mood so I mostly walked through and cursorily checked out the exhibits. The museum itself is set in buildings of Roman and Gothic origins, they also display ancient artifacts such as Greek and Roman stone fragments, pottery, and coins. Other exhibits were traditional costumes, arms, and noble family portraits. The largest exhibit was the Garagnin Library, preserved early 19th-century bookcases and over 5,500 historic volumes, it was not accessible for the regular joe but one could look at the collection through glass panes in front of the doors.
Trogir old town
Having had the few days of charging up our batteries, coupled with light maintenance and sleep we left Trogir on the 10th for Dubrovnik to prepare for our next trip. We contracted some stainless steel workers to make up missing parts for our tender and was going to repair our tender but the spare from UK took its time to be cleared through customs. Next charter was from Dubrovnik to Split via the islands in between, we sailed early to reach Gruz marina in the afternoon. Weather was perfect and sunny, hardly no wind at all.
Pokonji Dol lighthouse off Hvar
Plocnice Island
Plocnice island lighthouse
I arrived later in afternoon in front of Marina Gruz and port control was asking where we're going like they could not understand why we were there. Some minutes later our agent called and told me I had booked the berth for the next day! Then she added, I am in luck as they have space for us, so come on in. Well, sometimes the sun shines on me too and so I ventured into the port and let go both anchors and backed in, we moored next to a newer yacht, Ocean Z. Somehow these modern yachts all seem to be higher than the older ones but still with less gross tonnage, probably some new building style as she was towering over us but at same length overall.
Dubrovnik sunset
Dubrovnik at night
Dubrovnik at night
Dubrovnik, Cevapi joint
In the evening my Mate went and picked up the spare for the tender that had been sent from Split by speed ferry. The engineers dove straight into the engine bay trying to fix the tender. I took my time to go for dinner with Cheche and but it was not cheap at all, even compared to Trogir it was more expensive and the restaurant was a run of the mill joint next to marina Frapa, very nice though, they all were along the street. The fish was delish and service good and as we walked back we saw some local cats and people about their evening business. As I returned onboard I still saw my engineers heads down the engine bay of the tender. The electrical problem seemed a bit more extensive than one part. I sent them to bed after I contacted our agent Ivo to see if he could find us some assistance, even in that late hour he messaged me back after half an hour and told me there is a technician attending us next morning. I let my engineer know so he could manage some sleep as we only had one day.
Dubrovnik cat
Dubrovnik Gruz marina
Dubrovnik Gruz marina
Next morning the technician came and confirmed our misgivings and told us we need more service to the electrical systems of our tender as some wires had been found fried, he anyway managed to make the tender working and went on his way. It was now a lottery whether the boat holds together or not.
Dubrovnik Gruz marina
Then we had our hands full to finalize our provisions and other small touches for the upcoming trip. In the evening we still had time to go for dinner and a walk so we saw the local life around Gruz. Unfortunately all the local boats seemingly turned into party venues in the evening and all grey water was probably freely let go into the basin, at least judging by the pungent aroma that wafted up in to our nostrils in the balmy night. The day before D-day we received flowers and last fresh provisions and then it was just to wait for next day.
Dubrovnik, 'Karaka'
Dubrovnik tourboat
The next day came and it was scorching hot straight from the morning, 36deg C and our A/C was honking under the pressure to keep a semblance of cool inside the superstructure. As soon as the guests arrived I confirmed that we should leave and so we collected our passarelle and called for linesmen to cast off. Heaved up both anchors and we slowly exited the port and headed up north towards Jakljan/ Sipan island. As soon as we had come out the port the temperature dropped a few degrees as we got a bit of an afternoon breeze.
Sipan/ Jakljan
At Sipan/ Jakljan I anchored close where I had been before so the guests could enjoy some swimming on their first evening. They enjoyed it very much. Unfortunately the tender would not cooperate and we found out it was an old relay giving us trouble. With some coaxing and electro clean we managed to get it going and so we wait for the lottery win.
Sipan/ Jakljan
The next day we then departed for Mljet and tied up on our previous spot off Pomena. Here guests went for sightseeing the St Mary's convent on the small island on the lake within Mljet. They were not impressed so I think that culture was perhaps not high on the list, to make up for that they had a fantastic seafood dinner in port.
Mljet, Pomena
Then from Mljet the next morning we motored to Korcula and tied up at Planjak Island a bit off the town in order to avoid the afternoon thermal winds. In the evening the guests enjoyed a dinner at LD restaurant. This was a good choice.
Korcula, goats on Planjak Is.
Korcula town
Plocnice Is. lighthouse
The next day we made our way to Brac and anchored off the town of Milna. This time we did not tie the stern to the rocks but let ourselves ride free. On our way the NE winds took up, we got something like 30 knots in gusts, and then we got a shower over us but as we arrived to the bay the weather had cleared, however it was slightly overcast.
NE bura winds off Brac with rain
Milna Brac
Milna, Brac - Feadship tied up to rocks
Maslinica, Soltan Is
For the last day we anchored off Maslinica village on Soltan island, on the western end there is a small 7 island archipelago that gave lots to for anyone liking to discover places. Unfortunately the traffic from Split going south or vice versa had several small boats passing by so it almost seemed like we had stopped by layby on a highway. The village was small and quaint and guests went ashore for sightseeing and drinkies.
The 7 island archipelago
Maslinica in the background
The 7 island archipelago
Sunset, Soltan Is
Sunset, Soltan Is
Then came the last morning for our guests and we hoisted anchor off Maslinica and headed for Split. The traffic was quite busy but our berth at ACI was well clear, it was for the most part empty as we arrived. The whole basin was choppy from boats coming and going but it was easily sorted by the zero speed stabilisers. As we had tied up the crew brought up luggage and soon the vans arrived for our guests. It was time for goodbyes.
Split
m/y Legend, another Feadship
Mosaique in ACI marina
As we had disembarked the guests came the busy rally to prepare for the next lot coming in 24hrs, beds had to be stripped, provisions loaded, cabins made up, stainless polished and decks washed down. Our agent brought spares for the engineers and new water toys to the Mate. The show must go on. In the evening when things calmed down I managed a dinner at the Restaurant Adriatic just off the marina, it was good but not very cheap. With that I walked back onboard and attended to some paperwork and suddenly I heard loud bangs going off and watched for some 10-15 minutes a firework spectacle on the other side of the port basin. After that I went to sleep for the next day to be fresh for receiving new guests.
The Split carrack like tour boat
Fireworks











































No comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to comment anything :)