*****
Because of the above I had also my clients requesting the Navagio visit but these days the beach is closed for visitors since 2023 and can only be watched 50m from ashore due to risk of falling rocks. I started from the north point at Skinari lighthouse and sailed south along the west coast, the seaside is very imposing with hundred odd meter high cliffs like in Dover for example.
There are a few ports on the west side as it is exposed to the sea but few secluded coves exist, as I was passing them I could see them full of smaller sailing yachts, 12-15m in length. As I was approaching it is interesting to see the huge cliffs playing against each other as the view angle changed, sometimes opening to small beaches only reachable by boat. The whole west coast seems to be full of caves like holes in an chunk of emmental cheese.
Then suddenly we just got to the Navagio beach and I slowed down and did an approach to the cove. With a 50m yacht one does not want to go very close lest one would like to join Panagiotis on the beach but we hovered there a few minutes for everyone to see and take photos as the ones that I took above. It looks like the wreck is these days in 2 parts and not so intact as the cover photo on top that I think is quite a few years older, same as the one below from her stern.
Anyway, the view was best with the afternoon sun hitting the beach and cliffs giving them a white and bright color with azure blue seas. I can see why the spot is so popular, truly a postcard shot. With that I then turned the yacht around and headed back for more sheltered waters.
Interestingly enough the Greek reporter published an article just as I was typing this about plans to restore and protect the beach from erosion to the tune of 4mil EUR. I'm afraid the wreck is probably beyond any salvage measures. They also include yet another version of how the Panagiotis ended up on the beach.
*****
Specifications of Panagiotis - IMO number 5305546
Ex. names: Saint Bedan/ Meropi (1964)/ Charis (1965)/ Nicos (1974)/ Panagiotis (1977)
First owner/ registry: J. & A. Gardner & Co. Ltd., Glasgow 19/02/1937
Subsequent owner and registration history:
1964 Gigilinis & S Kakassinas, Thessaloniki.
1972 Marina Koutrouba & Co., Thessaloniki.
1974 N S Kalfas, Thessaloniki.
1977 G Trivelas & Co. (T Katsaron, Thessaloniki).
1980 P Lisikatos & Co., (Soulanis & others), Piraeus
Year built/ launched/ completed: 1937, 14/01/1937, 19/02/1937
Type: Coaster/ General Cargo/ Steel Motor Vessel
Builder: Scott & Sons, Bowling Bay Yard 341
Length/ Breadth/ Depth/ Draft: 156.8 ft/ 25.6 ft/ 14.0 ft
Tonnages: 452 GT/ 245 NT/ 550 DWT
Engine: British Auxiliaries Ltd., Glasgow / 4cyl Atlas oil 566shp. 1 screw, engine No. 252













No comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to comment anything :)