Thursday, 1 May 2008

Captain's blog - Handover

I arrived in the evening on 31st April by train and minivan from Bangkok to sign on m/y Kalizma, the van left me at the Yacht Haven Marina junction and a final motorbike ride took me to the Marina.

M/y Kalizma in Yacht Haven

Once at the Marina I was met by the Chef Richard and we trollied my luggage onboard. Onboard Richard treated me to a small evening snack and a few absolutely delicious cans of ice cold Kingfisher beer.

The next day I woke up to a sunny day and met Captain Avnish and the crew. After that we started the handover which went on for quite a few days. Accounting, budgeting, maintenance, bridge equipment, class/ certificate status and the whole shebang, the list went on and on.

Finally towards the end of handing over we received onboard the Company representative, Cmde Mongia, to endorse the handover and review of accounts. We did a short 3 day cruise in order to see all equipment in operation. First night was spent at anchor in Ao Tha Lua and we took our tender to Boat Lagoon for dinner. Boat Lagoon was almost bone dry due to extreme low tide and we barely managed to navigate the channel, but eventually we made it slowly, very slowly.

Next day we cruised towards Phang Nga Bay where we went exploring with the tenderboat and jetski. For the night we stayed overnight at Berama Bay where a new marina is being built, in fact the whole Island is being restructured on a massive scale. At sundown we had the Island developers onboard for snacks and drinks but we were interrupted by very heavy rain showers and had to retreat into the saloon.

Next morning was again sunny and closer to noon we hoisted anchor and started towards the Yacht Haven Marina, the approach was uneventful and then we came to the exciting part where I had to maneuver Kalizma alongside. I had slight wind from the port bow and the current from astern. I made port side alongside and without any mishaps. It was not that easy but by time I’m sure I will get to know her tricks and treats.

Having crossed off all items in the handover list we did the final item which was to sign the boat officially to me. This was done in the morning of 8th May on the aft deck in the presence of Cmde Mongia. After all signing was done I could see that Capt Avnish looked very relieved after the burden of responsibility had been lifted from his shoulders. Kalizma is now under my command and I hope it will be a long and happy relationship with the Owner’s, distinguished guests and crew.

No comments: