Tuesday, November 05, 2019

Life takes a turn...

As I was enjoying my rotational leave from Ventum Maris in South Africa I got a mail asking if I would be interested in joining a commercial venture with world wide itinerary. My interest was immediately peaked so I said "yes but that I was in a contract so needed some notice" in case we would come to an agreement. 

RMS St Helena watersalute
Photographer: unknown

After a few exchanged emails it turned out that the vessel in question was the ex RMS St Helena that had most of her life been trading between the Island of St Helena, Ascension, Tristan da Cunha, Cape Town and UK. She had been owned by the Gov't of St Helena with Andrew Weir and Bibby doing the day to day operational management and manning. 

RMS St Helena discharging cargo in St Helena
Photographer: unknown

After completion of the airport on St Helena Island it was deemed that the vessel was superfluous after nearly 30 years of service (she was also pretty knackered by then). Subsequently she was in 2017 sold off to a security company that renamed her MNG Tahiti and also changed her class and flag to something less illustrious from LR and MCA. The then Owners positioned her in the Middle East as a floating armory. Apparently this did not work out very well financially for the new Owners as she was put on the market almost immediately and less than a year later she changed hands again, this time to other British interests.

St Helena in Birkenhead

Then in 2018 she was brought from Dubai to UK and moored in Portland where some cosmetic works were carried out and she was then displayed in London next to HMS Belfast for promoting her future.  Also the St Kitts and Nevis Flag was discarded and the British red ensign was hoisted and Class was changed back to LR. After this she was moved to Liverpool and is undergoing major overhaul and refit of machinery, structure and interior spaces in preparation for her 30 year special survey at Cammell Lairds ship repair yard in Birkenhead. 

St Helena in Birkenhead

After few days of deep thinking I thought to myself that these kind of proposals only comes a few times in your life so I had my chance here & now so told Wilson that I'm accepting the job offer. Few days onward I had a contract and I tendered my resignation to Campers & Nicholson's from Ventum Maris. It is a bit sad as I had only been a short time on her and thoroughly liked my time onboard but I guess it was my time to be a bit selfish.

St Helena in Birkenhead

Fast forward a few weeks again I was on the airport in Nice on a flight to Manchester where I was picked up by the DPA and brought onboard. The previous Master had left some time ago and only the Ch Mate was holding up the fort so it was a clean slate to start from. Well, time will tell how this goes but there definitely is a lot to be done to this lady before she is setting sail again.


1 comment: